With Spring upon us and hopes of rain subsiding, many of us Northwesterners are getting ready to head outside and enjoy what we hope to be the sun. This means it is time to give your home it’s annual spring cleaning – both inside and out. When your property is looking nice and clean you can really appreciate your outdoor living space. Here are some tips and resources to help kick start your outdoor spring cleaning projects.
- Remember to clean decks and other horizontal walking surfaces. Mold and moss can create slippery areas that are hazardous
- Start high and finish low. Clean your roof and gutters, then house siding and windows, and then the ground level. This prevents any repeat cleaning.
- Scrub down furniture and tables
- Prune back shrubs and trees that may have gotten out of control during the long winter.
- Clean up down branches and debris
- Rent a pressure washer and clean up an walkways or driveways
- Simple Green is an excellent cleaning solution and is environmentally friendly. You can buy it in bulk at Home Depot or Lowe’s
- 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner is a stronger alternative to Simple Green but contains bleach so be careful where you use it.
- Nothing beats a scrub brush and a little soap and water. Home Depot carries a variety of brushes to help you on your project.
Here are a few other websites with helpful hints on exterior cleaning:
- Home and Garden Spring Cleaning
- 10 Tips from TLC for Outdoor Cleaning
- Country Living cleaning Guide