Vinyl fencing has become a very popular substitute for wood and chain link fence over the recent years. Vinyl possess different properties than traditional fencing solutions and it is good to examine these in detail before deciding whether or not vinyl fencing is the right product for you. Should you find yourself considering Vinyl as a fencing solution be sure to do some research on the fence and ask the tough questions before making a decision.
Here are some of the advantages of using vinyl fence over traditional fences:
- Vinyl typically lasts much longer than wooden fence and is nearly 5 times stronger than wood. This means you will be getting more for your money and are investing in something that should last a lifetime.
- Vinyl maintains it’s look and does not require painting. Most vinyl is the same color through the entire depth of the material and therefore does not need to be refinished ever.
- Vinyl is easy to clean with basic household cleaning materials. For more vinyl fence care see our post on how to clean a vinyl fence.
- Vinyl does not decompose like wood and is rust free. Vinyl material is built to last and maintains is original condition for years.
- Vinyl is flexible and will not snap or break off as easily as wood.
- Vinyl is very low maintenance.
Overall you can see that Vinyl Fence is meant to be a long lasting, low maintenance fencing product. As the industry evolves the advances in manufacturing have made vinyl a strong competitor for common fencing applications.
Some disadvantages of Vinyl that should be considered are listed here:
- Vinyl is one of the more expensive fencing solutions available. If you are on a budget it may not be right for you.
- Should your vinyl fence be damaged it can be more difficult to replace and could require the work of a professional for repairing even a small section of fence.
- Some vinyl fencing can fade in extreme weather. Be sure to research the type of vinyl and find out if the color will change when exposed to the elements. Recent advances in technology have addressed these concerns but it is still good to understand what you are purchasing.
In general Vinyl is an excellent fencing solution and in most instances the advantages can outweigh the disadvantages. The most important thing is to do your research and make sure you are purchasing the right type of fence for your needs. Be sure to inquire if the manufacturer offers warranties as many do offer some limited lifetime warranties on their products.
At Fence Specialists we carry over 40 different styles of Vinyl Fence and work with a variety of manufacturers including Bufftech by CertainTeed. Contact us today to find out what kind of Vinyl Fence is right for you.